Apple and Pecan Muffins (Gluten-Free or Not )
photo by PaulaG
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup sorghum flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups gluten-free flour, blend (use a purchased blended flour with added gums)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder (gluten-free if required for diet)
- 1⁄3 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 apple, peeled cored and grated
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup milk or 3/4 cup soymilk
- 1⁄4 cup extra strong brewed coffee or 1/4 cup espresso coffee
- 12 pecans (1 per muffin)
- 1 dash sugar
- 1 dash ground cinnamon
- Grease or line a 12 hole muffin tin and pre-heat oven to 170°C /340°F (180°C if not a fan-forced oven)
- Combine all of the dry ingredients, except apple, in a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Add apple and lightly blend only until the apple is coated. Set aside.
- Add all of the wet ingredients to a jug and whisk well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and lightly stir until just combined. Do not beat or over-mix as this will result in a tough dry muffin.
- Pour into muffin cases and top each muffin with a pecan and sprinkle with sugar and ground cinnamon.
- Bake approximately 20 minutes or until done.
- Cool on trays.
- Gluten-free muffins are best made the day of baking and can be frozen. Wam for a few seconds in the microwave to enjoy the next day.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Made these yesterday for breakfast. The recipe was reduced by half and I got 7 muffins and could probably have actually gotten 8 as some slightly overflowed the tins. I did not have sorghum flour so I substituted teff. I used a gluten free baking mix made by King Arthur Flour. My milk choice was almond. The grated apple makes them nice and moist. Great flavor and leftovers freeze well. Made for Family Picks during ZWT9.
Indeed, a very easy and delicious muffin. I whipped these up after work, popped them in the oven before starting dinner. I used regular flour, not needing to worry about dietary allowances, so I can attest that they work very well using plain wheat flour. I have passed them around to colleagues and they have been judged excellent! Thank you, Jubes, a quickly prepared sweet and healthy treat with a wonderful melding of apple, nut and coffee flavours! Made for ZWT9, Express Round 2, Panthers On The Prowl
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Aussie Mum - gluten-free