Apple and Hazelnut Pancakes
These are an adaption of a recipe that I found in a Reader's Digest recipe booklet. I am listing these with gluten free options. If using a gluten flour these will probably turn out a little thinner. They are packed with lots of healthy, high fiber ingredients for a healthier you. I served this with a mixed berry sauce sweetened with a couple of tablespoons pure maple syrup.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup hazelnuts, chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, or
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, gluten free blend
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar (I used Organic Evaporated Cane Juice.)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 - 1 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 large apple, washed, cored and finely chopped
- cooking spray
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, flax seed meal, salt, soda, baking powder and sugar.
- Make a well in the center and add in egg and gradually mix in the buttermilk until desired consistency. Fold in the apple and chopped nuts. Allow batter to rest while preheating the griddle.
- Preheat a cast iron griddle until it sizzles. Spray lightly with cooking spray and drop batter onto seasoned griddle using a 1/4 cup measure. Cook until bubbles form on top, turn and continue to cook until done.
- Serve with berries or warmed maple syrup.