- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- 4 ounces flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces vegetable shortening
- cold water, to mix
- 1 lb cooking apple
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 lemon, grated rind of
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 egg whites
- 3 ounces caster sugar
- To make the pastry, sift together the flour and salt.
- With your fingertips rub in the fat very lightly until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Mix to a stiff paste with very little cold water. The dough should bind together into a ball, leaving the sides of the bowl clean.
- Turn onto a floured board and knead very lightly. Roll out, handling the dough as little as possible.
- line an 8 inch pie dish with the pastry.
- Pre heat the oven to 450F/Gas 8/230°C.
- For the filling, peel, core and slice the apples.
- Put 2 tablesp cold water into a saucepan and add the apples and butter. Cook till tender (about 10 minutes) Add sugar to taste.
- Rub the mixture through a sieve or beat till smooth.
- Add lemon rind and juice, and the egg yolks. Mix together and pour into the pie dish. Bake for about 30 minutes or till the pastry is browned and the filling set.
- For the meringue, whisk the egg whites until they are very stiff. Fold in 2 oz of sugar.
- When the pastry and filling are done, reset the oven to 150F/Gas 1/2 /130°F.
- Pile the meringue lightly on top of the apple. Dredge with the remaining sugar.
- Bake 30-40 minutes or till the meringue is crisp and lightly brown on top.
- Serve hot or cold.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hi, I'm Sandie. I live in London with my two little kittens (6 months at the moment...May 06)and work as a Finance Administrator in a university department. I love to cook, but live on my own so don't do as much as I used to. Like making cakes particularly. In my spare time I read, I like to go to the theatre and cinema, I make beaded jewellery and do some patchwork & quilting and other needlework. .....Ooh....and, of course, I love to eat out!! <a href="http://www.amazingcounter.com"><img border="0" src="http://c8.amazingcounters.com/counter.php?i=1680318&c=5041267" alt="amazing counters"></a><a href="http://www.1-coupons.com/coupons/kohls.htm">Kohls Coupons</a> <a href="http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b161/tisht/?action=view¤t=tish1.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b161/tisht/tish1.jpg" border="0" alt="Recipezaar Challenge 2008"></a> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/IWasAdoptedfall08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">