Angel Food Cake
Homemade Angel Food Cake....better than the store bought!
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 12 egg whites (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups sifted flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons almond extract
- Beat egg whites by hand; add salt and beat again.
- Add tartar and beat with mixer until stiff.
- Fold in sifted flour and sugar (sifted together).
- Add almond extract, mix, and bake for 1 hour at 225 (in an Angel pan UNGREASED).
- Place upside- down to cool.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This cake's flavor is good but it will not rise enough to create the light, airy texture we look for in an angel food cake. I prepared & baked this cake as directed but it's very clear that the oven temperature called for (225Â°) is much too low. The lowest I've ever baked angel food is 325Â°. :( After an hour the cake had only risen about 3/4 of an inch and it was still mostly white with only a slight hint of browning starting to occur. I turned up the oven temp to 350Â° without removing the cake & baked it another 10 minutes or so. The almond flavoring is much better than the usual vanilla & we'll continue to use that in the future, with another recipe. For anyone else who may try this recipe, I would recommend using an oven temp of 325Â°. This may just be a typo in the recipe, but since another reviewer quite obviously had the desired outcome, I can't say for sure. I made this cake to serve with a cookathon tag for recipe #330075.Reply
see 1 more