Amish Texas Chocolate Roll Cake
this came from a wonderful cook in Holmes County Ohio..Edna Miller...you can fill with a variety of fillings..from fruit to whipped cream...I have even filled it with German Chocolate Cake Frosting..much easier to serve..if you want a yellow cake roll..omit cocoa and add vanilla
- Ready In:
- 5 large eggs, seperated
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- beat the egg yolks, sugar and 3 tbls hot water.
- Beat the egg whites till stiff -- add all ingredients.
- put in jelly roll pan lined with waxed paper and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350*.
- cool in pan 5 minutes -- then invert onto a towel dusted with powdered sugar -- roll and when cool.unroll and fill with filling of your choice -- .
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
Pros: rolls easily, stays together, no cracks Cons: For me this turned out to be a bland, spongy, almost chewy cake (I did not overmix the batter). Not very chocolatey, pale (as mentioned by another reviewer, KHeidger), and nearly tasteless. I even went back to ensure I hadn't left out anything in the recipe by mistake. Nope. I was hoping for a rich chocolate roll cake and this is not it. Baked for 15 minutes as mentioned by Olive in another review. Filled with a whipped cream and cream cheese icing, iced with a chocolate version of same, I'm hoping it will be acceptable for my daughter's birthday. I'll probably douse the leftovers in liqueur and cherries and serve to the adults...