"amerikaner" (German Vanilla Biscuit)
photo by teresas
- Ready In:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- In a big bowl cream butter, sugar and vanilla. Little by little add the milk and the eggs.
- In a second bowl mix flour, baking powder and starch. Add to the butter-mixture and stirr in until just blended.
- Using 2 tablespoons drop 6 heaps of dough onto each paper-lined baking sheet (you will need 2). Make sure to leave enough space in between the heaps as dough will spread during baking.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire-rack and allow to cool.
- If using the glaze stir together icing sugar and lemon juice and spread this onto the even side of the Amerikaner.
- Idea: For children you can spread the curved side of the biscuit with a chocolate icing and stick slivered almonds into them to make them appear like little hedgehogs. :).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
DH loved these...I loved the fact that the recipe didn't make dozens of cookies...in fact I cut the recipe in half and got 6 nice cookies for him...he loves to eat them with his coffee...I did take a tiny bite just to see...these are yummy and not overly sweet...I also omitted the icing...very easy to prepare...thanks for posting...:)