American Kitchen Classic Chicken Salad
- Ready In:
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cups cooked chicken breasts, diced
- 2 small celery ribs, cut into small dice
- 1⁄2 red onion, cut into very small dice
- 1⁄2 green apple, cored and cut into medium dice
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- salt and pepper, if desired
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, cider vinegar and Dijon mustard to form a dressing.
- To the bowl, add the chicken, celery, onion, apple and raisins. Toss everything together, taste and adjust the seasoning if desired. Chill before serving.
Join The Conversation
This recipe may be served on top of lettuce, a tomato half or scooped out tomato, an avocado, or some combination of these. It may also be used as a filling for sandwiches. It is recommended to prepare this recipe a day before you need it. The American form of chicken salad was first served by Town Meats in Wakefield, Rhode Island in 1863. The original owner, Liam Gray, mixed his leftover chicken with mayonnaise, tarragon, and grapes.