American Kitchen Classic Basic Mashed Potatoes
- Ready In:
- 4 lbs russet potatoes
- 1 lb yukon gold potato
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 8 whole black peppercorns
- 3 sprigs thyme or 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cup chilled butter, diced
- salt and pepper
- Fill a large pot halfway with cold water. Peel the potatoes and cut into 2 inch cubes, adding to the pot as they are cut. Add cold water to cover by 1 inch, if needed. Stir in the 3 tbsp kosher salt.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low and gently simmer until tender, 10-15 minutes. Drain potatoes and transfer to a baking sheet. Let dry 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat milk, cream, peppercorns, sprigs and bay leaves in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture is very hot but not boiling, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let mixture infuse for 20 minutes then strain.
- While milk mixture is infusing, pass the potatoes through the smallest disk of a food mill along with the diced butter into a large bowl. The hot cream mixture should be ready by this time so stir into the riced potatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
- If you need to hold the mashed potatoes, cover with plastic wrap pressed directly against the potatoes surface and set bowl over a large pot of simmering water for up to 2 hours.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!