American Chop Suey
This is a recipe that my paternal grandmother made when I was a kid that was top on my list. Mom would ask what I wanted and this was always on the first things I said. ***Rest in peace Grandma. You were a light to our family, and I will love and miss you forever. RIP 05/09/2010***
- Ready In:
- 1 lb hamburger, browned and drained
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) jar mixed mushrooms (I like to double it)
- 1 pint canned whole tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup raw rice
- seasoning salt (I prefer creole seasoning) or salt and pepper (I prefer creole seasoning)
- Mix ingredients in skillet.
- Do NOT saute' or cook veggies first or you will get mush.
- Season with seasoning salt or salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover, and leave on highheat until food begins to steam and you see steam coming out from under the lid.
- Turn off heat and leave on burner for 1 hours.
- Do not lift cover during cooking period.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I love 1 dish meals and this was a good one. We had trouble with burning to the bottom of the pan but it was made by my son so I am not going to mark down for that because I wasn't home when he made it. In the directions it says to use high heat, the particular pan my son used isn't supposed to be used above medium, but he doesn't know that. I believe this recipe would have been fine if it was cooked on medium until simmering started and then turn off the heat. Made for PAC spring 2011Reply