Ambul Thiyal (Sri Lankan Sour Curry of Fish)
- Ready In:
- 500 g fish fillets or 500 g steaks
- 1 tablespoon tamarind pulp
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 -8 curry leaves
- 1 stalk lemongrass (or 2 strips lemon rind)
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Wash and dry fish, cut into serving pieces.
- Soak tamarind in vinegar until its soft. (If tamarind is very dry, heat in an enamel saucepan for a few minutes adding some of the water).
- When cool enough to handle, squeeze the tamarind in the liquid to dissolve the pulp, strain through a fine nylon sieve and discard seeds and fibres.
- Put all ingredients into a pan (preferably an enamel or stainless steel pan) and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until fish is cooked and gravy is thick.
- Shake pan or turn fish pieces carefully once or twice during cooking.
- Serve with white rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/IWasAdoptedfall08.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br />Happily married and the proud mum of a beautiful daughter aged 5 and a baby son who was born on 10/04/10. Really enjoy cooking and trying new recipes, especially north American, French, Greek and Mexican. Have many cookbooks which I often pick from but love Nigel Slaters recipes and attitude, Charmaine Solomon for her Asian recipes and I am also a subscriber to Good Food Mag. I try to source good quality ingredients particularly meat and organic veg as I believe that <br />good ingredients can make a meal truely special. Have been lucky enough to find a wonderful farmer/butcher in Wales who only sells his own produce which is fantastic and I always stock up on a whole lamb for the freezer when I go there! <br /><img src=http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg alt= /></p> <p> </p> <p><a href=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_HycMLGzpJjc/S-3vqYbQ-3I/AAAAAAAAAAo/UwzmbgtkT30/s1600/MischiefMakers.jpg[/img></a></p>