Amazing Strawberry (Or Blueberry) Shortcake
photo by Sharlene~W
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 3 1⁄2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced or 3 1/2 cups blueberries
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- 5 tablespoons confectioners' sugar (divided)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream (divided)
- 32 ladyfingers
- In small bowl, stir together berries, sugar, and lemon juice.
- Let sit 30 minutes to an hour.
- Near serving time, whip 1/2 cup of the heavy cream until soft peaks form.Mix in 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar.
- In another bowl, stir mascarpone until smooth. Stir in 3 Tablespoons confectioners' sugar, vanilla and remaining 1/4 cup of the cream.
- Fold mascarpone mixture into whipped cream mixture.
- To assemble: Place 2 lady fingers on 8 dessert plates and cover with 2 Tablespoons of strawberries, 2 Tablespoons of mascarpone mixture.
- Repeat with another lady fingers, laying across in the other direction.
- Divide remaining strawberries among plates and top with with remaining mascarpone cheese mixture.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
It took me awhile to find the soft ladyfingers (next to Twinkies) but they made this dessert scrumptious. They soak up the strawberries and cream mixture nicely. I used my Kitchen Aid to mix the mascarpone and accidentally curdled the mixture when I mixed the cream in! It was lumpy but still delicious. Thanks Sharlene, for another great recipe. Roxygirl
This recipe was delicous,easy to make, and made a very elegant presentation. The only change I made was to spoon Half and Half over the ladyfingers and let them sit for a few minutes before assembling so that they would be soft enough to eat with a fork. Thanks for posting, I will definitely make this again!!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in the San Francisco area and love it here. I discovered Recipezaar (then Food.com..Genius Kitchen) in 2001 and have been so happy to have my favorite recipes stored safely here. I am mother to 7 and grandmother to 7. I love to knit, smock, sew, etc., but my favorite hobby of the moment is traditional rug hooking. This is a sample of what I do.? It's called "November".? I dyed most of the wool myself. It is made from wool flannel, cut into strips a little less than 1/4" and then worked into a linen backing. This is my 3rd rug.