Alu Paratha - Mashed Potato Stuffed Bread
photo by Sama S.
- Ready In:
- 2 cups wheat flour (or 500 gm)
- 2 boiled potatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- To prepare the dough take the wheat flour, add half Tsp of salt, 1 Tbsp of vegetable oil. Mix well and pour water over the flour and knead into a smooth dough. Keep aside to rest.
- Mash the boiled potatoes, add roasted cumin seeds, chopped onion, and green chilly and salt . Mix well till all the ingredients are nicely combined.
- doubh and smashed potato.
- To prepare the paratha, take a golf ball sized portion of the dough, flatten it with your palm. Now place a spoon full of the prepared stuffing in the centre of the flattened dough ball.
- Now bring together all the sides of the dough and pinch them tightly to form a dumpling.
- Place this dumpling on your work top and roll it out gently using a rolling pin. Dust wheat flour on the work top if the dough becomes sticky. Once rolled the paratha should be evenly thick from all sides.
- To cook, heat oil in a frying pan, place the rolled out paratha on it. Cook on one side for two minutes. Flip it over apply some more oil on the surface and cook on both sides till it becomes crispy.
- Serve hot along with plain yoghurt or Indian pickle.
- Nutritional Value - Calories- 625 Fat 39 g, Carbohydrates- 26.2 g, Protein- 28 g.
- Tip: Use a little extra oil while kneading the dough, this will result in crispier Parathas. Also try using other stuffing like crumbled cottage cheese(Paneer) or mashed Peas.
- This paratha has been served along with yoghurt sprinkled with some dried mint and chilli flakes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!