Alton Brown's Cocoa Syrup
photo by mums the word
- Ready In:
- In a medium or large pot, bring water and sugar to a boil.
- Whisk in cocoa, vanilla, salt, and corn syrup until all the solids have dissolved.
- Reduce sauce until slightly thickened.
- Strain and cool to room temperature.
- Pour into squeeze bottles.
- Keep in the fridge.
- One serving equals about 1/2 cup.
We had sundaes last night and my kids and I made this recipe. Very good. VERY GOOD. I felt like I had order a sundae from a fancy ice cream parlor. LOL. Seriously, I was a big hit with my kids. I was suggested by Molidol that using a higher quality cocoa powder will increase the flavor; I agree. Thanks Molidol! Hershey's ain't got nothin' on you girl!
LOVE this syrup! Extremely easy to make. I made 1/3 recipe following someone else’s suggestion in using agave rather than corn syrup and added 12g/.4 oz of 72% chocolate. I didn’t strain the syrup and it’s perfect satin after chilling. It probably doesn’t need the additional chocolate. Definite keeper recipe.