Serve the aloo methi hot with chapati or paratha.
- Ready In:
- 2 cups mustard greens, leaves (fenugreek, cleaned, washed and finely chopped)
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1 medium tomatoes (chopped)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed (jeera)
- 3 whole dried red chilies
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced finely
- Heat oil and add onion and fry till golden. Add cumin seeds and dry red chilies.
- When cumin seeds are done and chilies turn brown add salt, turmeric, chili powder and chopped tomato. Sauté foe a moment.Add methi and 1 cup water and cook on a medium flame.till done and till water is fully absorbed.
- Now add potatoes and 1/2cup water and mix well. Cook till potatoes are done.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Oh, how I love this dish at our local Indian lunch counter! The menu's constantly changing, so when I see it there, I get VERY excited. This recipe didn't taste like that version, but I'm always on the lookout for more potato recipes, so it wasn't exactly a negative that we got to enjoy this. :o) I used fresh methi (fenugreek leaves) and skipped the chilis (hot!), but otherwise made as indicated. Careful not to cook the potatoes too much or they will fall apart. Thank you for sharing, roja khan!Reply
I tried this recipe to use the mustard greens we got through our Community Supported Agriculture share. It was very good! I used canned tomatoes, since they aren't in season here yet, and skipped the dried chilies so my 4 year old would eat it. I served it alongside some Chicken Curry and a premade Indian rice packet. It would be a good addition to any Indian dinner. Indian food is quite easy to prepare, for anyone who hasn't tried it. One thing to consider, in Indian food, the red chili powder is usually Kashmiri Chili Powder (found at international markets) NOT what Americans usually use as chili powder. It wouldn't taste right without the Kashmiri red chili. Thanks for the recipe!Reply
see 1 more