Almond Venetian Dessert
- Ready In:
- Grease the bottoms of three 8-in. square baking dishes.
- Line with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside.
- Place almond paste in a large mixing bowl; break up with a fork.
- Add the butter, sugar, egg yolks and extract; beat until smooth and fluffy.
- Stir in flour and salt.
- In another mixing bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Stir a fourth of the whites into the dough, then fold in the remaining whites (dough will be stiff).
- Divide dough evenly into three portions, about 2/3 cup each.
- Tint one portion green and one portion red; leave the remaining portion white.
- Spread each portion into a prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 13-15 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
- Immediately invert onto wire racks; remove waxed paper.
- Place another wire rack on top and turn over.
- Cool completely.
- Place green layer on a large piece of plastic wrap.
- Spread evenly with 1/3 cup apricot preserves.
- Top with white layer and spread with remaining preserves.
- Top with red layer.
- Bring plastic over layers.
- Slide onto a baking sheet and set a cutting board on top to compress layers.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate.
- Remove cutting board and unwrap dessert.
- Spread melted chocolate over top; let stand until set.
- With a sharp knife, trim edges.
- Cut into 2-in. x 5/8-in. bars.
- Store in an airtight container.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!