Almond Soup (Looz Shorba)
Also from Middle Eastern Recipe (http://www.ummah.com/family/recipes.html). It calls for almonds, but I've made this with walnuts as well. If you can't find ground nuts, then I recommend finely chopped. They should be as fine as possible, as this adds to the creamy texture of the soup.
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, ground (or finely chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- Start the chicken broth boiling.
- While waiting for that, soften the onions in butter in a small sauce pan.
- Add flour to onion mixture and stir. This makes a kind of paste.
- Once chicken broth is boiling add the onion/flour mix to the boiling broth and stir briskly.
- Let simmer for a few minutes, then add the ground almonds. Let simmer 20 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream, stirring until heated through.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, though I find it doesn't need it.
- Serves about 4.