I found this recipe from Southern Living. I made it for Easter dinner and everyone raved about it. It is quite easy to make, and well worth it.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 (15 ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts
- 6 1⁄2 tablespoons butter, softened and divided
- 4 ounces almond paste, crumbled
- 5 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1⁄4 cup brandy, divided
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 pears, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream
- sweetened cream
- sliced almonds
- ground cinnamon
- Unfold piecrusts; stack on a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 12 inch circle. Fit into a 10 inch pan with removable bottome, trim excess pastry.
- Beat 4 tablespoons butter, almond paste, 1 tablespoon sugar, 2 tablespoons brandy, 1/3 cup flour and next 3 ingredients at medium speed with a mixer until blended, spread in crust.
- Toss together 2 tablespoons sugar and pears, arrange in cicles, overlapping slices, on top of filling.
- Cook preserves in a saucepan over low heat until melted. Pour through a fine wire mesh strainer, discarding solids. Stir in 1 tablespoon butter, remaining 2 tablespoons brandy, and cream, drizzle over pears.
- Combine remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, and remaining 2 tablespoons flour, cut in remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons butter with a fork until blended. Sprinkle over pears.
- Bake at 400 on bottom rack for about 40 minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes. Garnish if desired.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
First of all- very tasty! I thought the way the recipe was written was kinda confusing- I'd re-write with- the ingredients and steps like- 1. the pie crust direction and put in fridge or freezer while you go on to other steps. 2. the topping directions- set aside 3.prepare the pears- (my pan took 3 large pears) set aside 4.make the filling- spread in the prepared crust- then go from there. Also I think slightly unripe pears would hold up better after 40 mins in the oven. So I'm giving it 4 stars- only because of the way its written. Everyone loved it- not a bit left!Reply
see 2 more