Almond Butter Cookies
photo by Cookin-jo
- Ready In:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup real semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- Heat oven to 400°F Combine butter, sugar and almond extract in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, until creamy. Reduce speed to low and add all remaining cookie ingredients. Beat until well mixed.
- Shape rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Flatten balls to 1/4 inch thick with bottom of buttered glass dipped in sugar. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool completely.
- Melt chocolate chips and shortening over low heat, stirring occasionally, until smooth (2-4 minutes). Drizzle or pipe chocolate on cookies making a Christmas tree design, if desired.
- TIP: Bake a variety of cookies using the same dough by rolling balls in decorator sugars or pressing halved red or green candied cherries onto cookies or rolling balls in finely chopped nuts before baking.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
The combination of almond and chocolate flavours in these rich cookies is really outstanding! The amount of almond extract is just right...a bit of almond flavour without it being overwhelming. I made these a bit on the large side but made smaller they'd be perfect on a Christmas sweet tray. One tip: The glaze thickens at room temperature so decorate the cookies when the glaze is slightly warm or just reheat it for a few seconds in the microwave. Thanks, Marg. I'll be making these again!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
With the changes to the email notifications and removal of private messaging, I am no longer able to respond to questions about my recipes. Yet another feature change that has made the website less user friendly. It's sad to watch a fantastic site deteriorate over the years. Some of my recipes are on my blog.