All Natural Red Velvet Cupcakes
photo by CandyTX
- Ready In:
- 2 medium beets (yield 3/4 cup beet puree, directions follow)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature (8 tablespoons)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (not bleached flour)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon natural cocoa powder (not Dutch Process, or dark cocoa powder)
Roast the beets:
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Fill a small roasting dish with 1/2 inch of water. Place beets in the water, and cover with a piece of parchment paper and a large piece of aluminum foil. Roast for 60-90 minutes, or until the beets are very tender to the point of a knife.
- When beets are cooled completely, peel, and cut into large chunks. Place in a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Process for 2 minutes, or until extremely smooth. If the beets need a little moisture to help them along, you can add the lemon juice and the vinegar from the recipe, and then just don’t add it later.
Make the batter:
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a standard muffin tin with paper cupcake liners. Add vinegar and lemon juice to 3/4 cup beet puree; followed by all other ingredients. Scoop mixture evenly into cupcake liners.
- Bake for 18 minutes, or until the cupcakes in the center spring back up when touched. Remove cupcakes from the pan and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Frost with cream cheese or frosting of your choice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>My name is Candy, married in 1993 to Tom. We have two kids (ages 13 and 11) and live in Austin, TX. Most of the cooking is done by Tom these days and he loves to play around and experiment with food. I own a bookkeeping business from a home office and Tom is a teacher so we stay busy and are always on the look out for something fun, fast and healthy.<br /> <br />View my all about me website for links and other information about us - <a href=http://www.candybeauchamp.com>HERE</a>. <br /> <br />We both absolutely love to read! Our kids are turning into little bookworms too :) We are all Kindle addicts and read a lot, my husband and I easily read 200 books per year between the two of us.</p>