All American Molasses Baked Beans
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 40mins
- 1 lb dried small white beans
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large onion, cut into 6 wedges
- 3 1⁄2 ounces salt pork, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Place beans in a large bowl and cover with water by at least 3 inches.
- Soak overnight.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine beans and bay leaves.
- Add enough water to cover by 3 inches.
- Bring to a boil and continue boiling gently for about 45 minutes or until beans are tender.
- Drain beans reserving 4 cups of the cooking liquid.
- Preheat oven to 350^F.
- In a large oven proof pot with a lid, combine the onion, salt pork, ketchup, brown sugar, molasses, dry mustard and pepper.
- Stir in the beans and 3 cups of the cooking liquid.
- Cover the pot tightly with foil and then the lid.
- Bake until the beans are very tender and the liquid has been absorbed, about 2+1/2 hours.
- Add more liquid as necessary.
- Season with salt and pepper.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation