Algerian Fish Soup
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
A lovely soup, probably nothing like you would expect, very yummy. I got the recipe from someone else, an Algerian, and have changed it slightly to fit in with the way my family (in-laws) cook algerian food.
- Ready In:
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large Spanish onion (Grated or very very finely chopped, or pulverised in a chopping machine)
- 3 -4 pressed garlic cloves (According to taste)
- 1 (10 ounce) can whole tomatoes (or 4-5 very ripe ones grated, chopped finely or pulverised in chopping machine)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ras el hanout spice mix (north african spice mix)
- 1 pinch of crushed saffron (It tastes much better with this than turmeric)
- salt and pepper (Around one tsp each, though maybe less than tsp if using stock cubes)
- 2 large potatoes (Chopped quite small, but NOT grated or pulverised in chopping machine!)
- 3 stalks celery, diced (Thinly sliced, but NOT grated or pulverised in chopping machine!!)
- 2 cups chicken broth (Around two pints)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs firm white fish (I used more)
- Heat oil in a large pan and saute onion and garlic until translucent. Add garlic and tomatoes and continue to simmer until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Add spices, potatoes, celery and broth. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add fish and continue to cook until the fish flakes. Simmer over low heat for an additional 10 minutes .
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION