Aga's Creamed Spinach With Bechamel Sauce
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This is my mom's recipe, one she's been making for years, and well loved by everyone including myself. Light dish to serve with chicken, pork and turkey.
- Ready In:
- 2 (10 ounce) frozen spinach, thawed
- 6 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 pinches nutmeg
- Pre heat oven 350.
- In a saute pan, melt butter and olive oil.
- Add onions and saute on medium heat until translucent and tender.
- In a small pot, scald milk with bay leaf and peppercorns on low heat.
- In a small pan, heat flour on medium heat for approximately 15 mins, whisk frequently until flour texture is soft and silky (this step, cuts the flour after taste).
- Once the onions are clear and tender, add the flour to the mix and whisk flour for approximately one minute.
- Remove pan from heat, strain milk and add to onions and whisk.
- Return to heat, whisk constantly until sauce thickens, approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add salt, parmesan and nutmeg (bechamel sauce can be made a day in advance).
- Remove from heat, and add spinach.
- Add the spinach bechamel mix to an 8X8 oven proof dish.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION