After-Ski Oven Stew N' Cider
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
I have the complete set of Betty Crocker Recipe Card Libraries from the 70's and I posted this special recipe in request from ddalton to surprise her Mom in her 75th. Birthday because she lost it and wanted to have it again. Enjoy it.
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 30mins
- 4 lbs beef round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 cups carrots, sliced
- 2 cups celery, sliced
- 4 medium onions, diced
- 2 (5 ounce) cans water chestnuts, drained and sliced
- 2 (6 ounce) cans sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1⁄4 cup flour, plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 (16 ounce) cans tomatoes
- 2 cups Burgundy wine (or use 2 cups water plus 2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon to substitute the Burgundy wine)
This stew is served with HOT CRAN-APPLE CIDER
- 2 quarts apple cider
- 1 1⁄2 quarts cranberry juice cocktail
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 4 large cinnamon sticks
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons whole cloves
- Heat oven to 325ºF. In roasting pan or 2 Dutch ovens, mix meat, carrots, celery, onion, water chestnuts and mushrooms.
- Mix flour, sugar and salt and stir into meat mixture. Then stir in tomatoes and Burgundy. Cover.
- Bake 4 hours or until meat is tender.
- CRAN-APPLE CIDER: in a large kettle or pot, combine all the ingredients. Heat to boiling; reduce heat and simmer 15 to 20 minutes. Strain. Makes 25 servings (about 1/2 cup each).
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I have the set, also. I have enjoyed alot of the recipes from this collection and this is one of everybodys' favorite. I would reccommend always using the Burgundy Wine as it seems to give it a very unique flavor and helps tenderize the meat. Thank you for reminding me of this great dish, I am on my way to the store to get the ingredients!Reply