African-Style Shish Kebab
photo by K9 Owned
- Ready In:
- 8 ounces plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped mint leaf
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 lbs boneless leg of lamb or 2 lbs beef sirloin, cut into cubes
- 18 cherry tomatoes
- 2 green peppers, cut into chunks
- 18 small white onions, peeled (you can use pearl onions)
- 18 medium mushrooms
- Combine yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, onion, mint,.
- cilantro, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper in large bowl. Add.
- meat to marinade; refrigerate 4 to 5 hours for lamb, overnight.
- for beef.
- Remove from refrigerator 2 hours before cooking.
- Just before cooking, arrange meat on skewers alternately with.
- tomatoes, green peppers, onions and mushrooms. Place on grill.
- 3 inches above coals, which should be red hot but not flaming.
- Cook 5 minutes on each side, turning skewers to brown meat.
- I recommend serving with rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Made this tonight for dinner. I could ony marinate for 2 hours but this still turned out fabulous! I had to make one skewer meat only for people that don't like any of the skewered veggies, but I enjoyed all of the veggies. Added mushrooms and grilled eggplant as a side. Perfect weeknight dinner! Thanks for sharing!
We dont care for lamb so used beef and marinated in the fridge for about 6 hours. Used greek yogurt, a medium red onion, parsley instead of the cilantro, fresh squeezed lemon, and omitted the cayenne. The hubby grilled them and served outside and we loved them. The fresh flavors of the vege's and marinade then the moist beef from the yogurt, fantastic. This is going to be a new favorite for us! Kathy thank you for sharing this recipe with us! Made and reviewed for Susie's World Tour 2019 - Morocco.
Woohoo!!! What a great shish kebab recipe!!! I made this, scaled back to serve the two of us and used chicken as the protein. I just realized when looking at the recipe that I cut everything in half except the cayenne pepper, oops!! I am a wimp when it comes to heat and I did notice a slight heat, but nothing too strong, so this is great recipe for others who don't deal with the spicy heat. When I asked DH what he thought, he stated it was pretty good, believe me, that is a thumbs up from him. Thanks for sharing the recipe!! Made for ZWT 9.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hello! I have a wonderful husband and two fantastic kids. I love to read, have fun with family and friends, stay active with: running; soccer; golf; biking; hiking; and gardening. I love to travel. I'm looking forward to more international travel someday. Cooking has become a passion for me. I love to read cookbooks, watch the Food Network, and try new recipes. I have way too many cookbooks! A few of my favorites are: Barefoot Contessa (any - but especially 'Family Style'),Rachael Ray 30-Minute Meals 2, Roasting by Barbara Kafka, Beyond Parsley & The Black Dog Summer on the Vineyard Cookbook. I try to carefully choose recipes that I think my family will enjoy, which is why most of my ratings are 3-5 stars. Happy cooking!