Afghan Lamb With Spinach
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Other greens may be used instead of spinach, but cooking time will have to be adjusted. From "Diabetes Cooking for Everyone", by Carol Gelles. Exchanges:2 3/4 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/4 milk, 2 1/2 fat.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 1 lb lamb, cubes
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- one 14- to 15-oz . can diced tomato
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 4 cups fresh spinach leaves, lightly packed
- 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
- Dust the lamb cubes with the flour.
- In a 3 quart nonstick ovenproof pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the lamb and cook until well-browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. This is best done in batches, as if the pieces of meat touch they will not brown properly. Remove meat from pot and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pot and cook, stirring, until slightly softened, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the spices (turmeric through pepper), then stir in the tomatoes and water and bring to a boil. Return the lamb to the pot. Cover and place in the oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the lamb is soft.
- Remove the pot from the oven and stir in the spinach until it is wilted. Stir in the yogurt, lemon zest, and slat.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION