Acorn Squash - a Healthy, Light & Vegetarian Summer Favorite
photo by Jennifer D.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 acorn squash
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can cannellini beans
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons of fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- salt & pepper, to taste at end
- 1 avocado
- feta cheese
- fresh lemon or lime
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Slice acorn squash in half, remove seeds, place on baking sheet, sprinkle with a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper to taste. Cook for ~1hr until you can stick a fork through easily (like a baked potato).
- In sauce pan, cook the quinoa - follow directions on box (normally its 1 c fresh quinoa to 2 c water).
- Add can of Cannellini beans to quinoa.
- Add 1/4 c of olive oil to quiona.
- Add to quinoa, salt/pepper to taste (I used ~ teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of pepper).
- Right before you remove squash from oven (as quinoa has cooled) add fresh herbs to quinoa.
- To plate & serve: Place 1/2 acorn squash on dish, spoon 1/4 of quinoa mixture, top with fresh avocado, feta cheese and sliced radish. Can drizzle with a bit more olive oil if you prefer and even a squeeze of lemon or lime.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!