Abraham Lincoln's Favorite Cake
photo by Izy Hossack
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
1 10 inch tube cake
- 6 large egg whites
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 1⁄4 cups blanched almonds, toasted
- 1 cup butter
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Beat egg whites until frothy.
- Add 1 cup sugar gradually until egg whites are stiff peaks.
- Finely chop almonds.
- Cream the butter and remaining 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- Add vanilla extract and almond extract to buttermilk.
- Combine nuts with flour mixture.
- Add wet to dry by thirds.
- Fold beaten egg whites into batter.
- Place greased wax paper in tube pan.( i didnt do this but i wasnt flipping it out either ).
- Turn batter into a 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 1 hour or until cake tests done.
- Frost with boiled icing.
This is a moist and tender cake. I made a few adaptations...1 1/2 teapoons vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract. I also used slivered honey almonds...using only 1 cup and reserving 1/4 cup for the topping...added 1 teaspoon cardamom and my frosting was an almond cream cheese frosting. Overall...a very nice cake! Moist and a bit of crunch with the almonds.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p style=text-align: center;>Hi! If you're looking for grandmas recipe, it might be here .</p> 8726272"