Abkhazia: Walnut Lobio
This recipe is from week one of my food blog, "Travel by Stove." I am cooking one meal from every country in the world, starting with Abkhazia. This is an Abkhazian side dish, which is basically a bean mash flavored with cilantro and walnuts.
- Ready In:
- 15 ounces canned red kidney beans (or used dried)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 bunch cilantro
- 1⁄2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 ounce butter
- Drain the kidney beans and place in a pot with a small amount of water. Warm over low heat.
- Chop the walnuts, onion and garlic and cook in melted butter for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the beans from the stove and pour away most of the water. Mash the beans, then add the onion mixture and the chopped cilantro. Add salt to taste.