Aarsi’s Ultimate Baadal Jaam (Eggplant Topped With a Blend
photo by Aarsis Kitchen
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 2 globe eggplants, cut in to half inch thick slices
- 16 ounces light sour cream
- 1 red onion (diced)
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 pinch asafoetida powder
- 1 inch cube ginger (thinly sliced)
- 2 green chilies (diced)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons garam masala powder
- 2 tablespoons coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder
- 1⁄3 cup tomato ketchup
- fresh cilantro leaf, for garnishing
Prepping the Eggplant:
- 1) Cut eggplant into ½ inch thick slices.
- 2) Brush oil on both sides of each eggplant slice.
- 3) On a non-stick pan, cook the eggplant slices on both sides (each side should take five minutes).
Prepping the Onion and Tomato Salsa (Masala):
- 1) Heat oil in a pan. To this, add asafetida, green chilies, ginger and onions along with salt. Sauté till the onions become translucent.
- 2) Add Tomatoes along with coriander powder, red chili powder and garam masala. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until the oil starts separating from this mixture.
- 3) Add ketchup and cook for another two minutes.
- 4) Switch off the gas and set aside.
Arranging the Baadal Jaam:
- 1) Place the eggplant slices side by side on the serving platter.
- 2) Top each slice with 1 tablespoon full of the prepared masala.
- 3) Add a dollop of sour cream on each of these slices and garnish with cilantro leaves.
- Serve hot and enjoy it with your loved ones!
- 1) You can substitute sour cream with Greek yogurt or hung yogurt (yogurt without water).
- 2) You can cook the masala and eggplants ahead and warm them before serving.
- Aarsi’s ultimate Baadal Jaam (Eggplant topped with a blend of spices).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!