7 Minute Frosting
photo by Baby Kato
- Ready In:
1 frosted cake
- Combine egg whites, water, sugar, cream of tartar and salt in top of double boiler.
- Set over simmering water and beat with an electric mixer for about 5 minutes
- until soft peaks are formed.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Keep beating until frosting is stiff enough to spread. Use immediately.
- Plenty enough to fill and frost he 2-layer Devil's Food Cake.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
While this was an easy recipe to make, what I didn't like about it is that it simply doesn't hold up for very long, possibly because of the egg whites. It evaporates, even as yearly as 10 hours after frosting. Since I like to do make cakes ahead of time, the frosting between layers was completely gone when I cut it! I would not use it again.
This made the best icing and took color (a beautiful pink) like a champ. Whipped up in almost precisely 7 minutes - I use a KitchenAid mixer, wonder what brand of mixer the people who had time problems used. My daughter thought it tasted like Fluff, but better. Icing cupcakes was a breeze - dip and swirl!