7-Layer Flag Dip
photo by Food.com
- Ready In:
1 9x13 pan
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (15 1/4 ounce) cans corn, drained
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and diced small
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans refried black beans
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 cups queso blanco (see below)
- 4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced black olives, drained
- 2 cups pico de gallo, drained
- 3 cups guacamole
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 1 cup finely crumbled Cotija cheese
- 1 cup thick salsa, pureed to smooth
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely crushed blue corn tortilla chips
- kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- red white and blue tortilla chips, for serving
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 8 ounces white American cheese
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) can diced jalapeno peppers
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium high heat. Add the corn and cook until slightly charred, about 3-5 minutes. Add the jalapeno and garlic and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, stir to combine the refried beans with the taco seasoning. Place in a 9x13 glass baking dish, spreading into an even layer. Top with white queso, spreading into an even layer. Top queso with shredded lettuce, then olives, corn and then pico de gallo.
- Spread the guacamole in an even layer over the top. Place sour cream in a piping bag fitted with a small piping tip.
- To make the flag topping, draw a box with the sour cream in the top left corner of the dip. Pipe the sour cream into 6 lines to make the white stripes of the flag. Sprinkle the cojita cheese over the stripes. Use a small spoon and carefully make 7 red stripes of the flag with the salsa.
- Fill in the box in the top left corner in with sour cream, spreading with a small offset spatula or knife into an even layer. Top the sour cream with crushed blue corn tortilla chips. Pipe the sour cream in dots on top of the crushed chips. Serve dip with red, white and blue tortilla chips.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk to combine evaporated milk, whole milk and cornstarch. Bring to a simmer, then slowly whisk in american and cheddar cheeses until melted and smooth. Whisk in the diced jalapenos and season to taste with salt. Set aside to cool.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hungry for good food AND great conversation? Food.com boasts a smorgasbord of over 500,000 recipes and a community-inspired activity feed that allows our users to add reviews, tweaks, questions and photos to their favorite recipes. Grab a plate and join the fun!