60 Minute Dinner Rolls
- Ready In:
- 3 1⁄2 cups unsifted flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly mix 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, salt and undissolved dry yeast. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine milk, water and margarine or butter.
- Heat over low heat until liquids are very warm (120 to 130 degrees F). (Margarine does not need to melt).
- Gradually add warm milk mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. (I use my KitchenAid Mixer).
- Add 1/2 cup flour and beat at high speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Stir in enough additional flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease the top.
- Cover and place the bowl over a pan of water that is about 98 degrees.
- Let rise for 15 minutes.
- Punch dough down and turn out on a lightly floured board.
- Shape into rolls and place them on a well grease pan.
- Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place for about 15 minutes or until almost doubled in bulk.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for about 12 minutes.
Join The Conversation