6 Point Carne Guisada (Latin Beef Stew)
Chunks of beef are simmered in beer with scallions, garlic, tomatoes, cumin and cilantro. Serve this over rice with a little aji picante and you'll have a delicious comfort dish, Latin style! Weight Watchers Points Plus Value: 6
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup scallion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs choice round beef stew, cut into small chunks
- 1⁄3 cup light beer
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon adobo seasoning (or salt)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon achiote (or sazon)
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 ounces baby red potatoes, halved or quartered
- In a large dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add scallions and garlic and sauté about 2 - 3 minutes; add tomatoes, cilantro and a pinch of salt. Cook another 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add beef to the pot along with beer, water, cumin, adobo, achiote, bay leaf and salt if needed. Cover and simmer on low heat 1 1/2 hours. Test to make sure beef is tender, if not cook another 15 minutes.
- Add potatoes and cook until soft, about 20 minutes depending on the size.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation