50's Prime Time Cafe - Mom's Meatloaf
photo by threeovens
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarsely cracked black peppercorns
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Preheat the oven to 350° F; lightly oil two 8-1/2 x 4-1/2" loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, combine the beef,pork, eggs, bread crumbs, onion, green and red bell peppers, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, cracked peppercorns and salt just until well blended; do not over mix.
- Divide the meat mix in half, shape into 2 loaves, and place in the prepared loaf pans. bake for 50-60 minutes, or until the internal temperature taken with an instant-read thermometer is 155°F.
- In a small bowl, stir the ketchup, brown sugar, mustard and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce. brush the meatloaf with the ketchup mixture and bake for 10 minutes longer.
- Remove meatloaf from oven and let stand for 10 minute before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
It felt like a meatloaf night so I looked at recipes I had saved and this stood out as a promising potential. I make a good meatloaf but wanted to venture out a bit. Not only did it taste great but the diced green and red peppers and purple onion gave it a confetti look...very pretty. My son particularly liked the topping sauce. We all gave it a thumbs up and there were requests to repeat this recipe in the future. A great choice for good old fashioned meatloaf.