photo by Lori Mama
- Ready In:
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1 lb smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 3 cups long-grain rice, uncooked
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans French onion soup, undiluted
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 2 -3 teaspoons creole seasoning
- 2 -3 teaspoons hot sauce
- fresh cilantro
- Sauté first 3 ingredients in hot oil in a Dutch oven 4 to 5 minutes or until sausage is browned.
- Stir in chicken and next 6 ingredients.
- Bake, covered, at 350° for 40 minutes, stirring after 30 minutes. Garnish, if desired.
- serves 8-10.
I made this Jambalaya when I had a house full of company. It was a hit! However, the cooking instructions are wrong. At 350 degrees, after 30 minutes when it was time to stir, it was extremely soupy. There is no way this recipe could be cooked in 40 minutes at that low temperature. I ended up turning up the oven to 375 and checking it every 20 minutes. I know it was about 1 and 1/2 hours before it was done. But it was a real winner as far as taste. Everyone who tried it wanted the recipe. Thanks Bev!