Best Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes (America's Test Kitchen)
- Reviews 7
Ready In: 30 mins
Yields: 16 4-inch pancakes
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (10 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 -2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 200 degrees. Spray wire rack set inside baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray; place in oven. Whisk flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda together in medium bowl. In second medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, sour cream, eggs, and melted butter. Make well in center of dry ingredients and pour in wet ingredients; gently stir until just combined (batter should remain lumpy with few streaks of flour). Do not overmix. Allow batter to sit 10 minutes before cooking.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Using paper towels, carefully wipe out oil, leaving thin film of oil on bottom and sides of pan. Using ¼ cup measure, portion batter into pan in 4 places. Cook until edges are set, first side is golden brown, and bubbles on surface are just beginning to break, 2 to 3 minutes. Using thin, wide spatula, flip pancakes and continue to cook until second side is golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Serve pancakes immediately, or transfer to wire rack in preheated oven. Repeat with remaining batter, using remaining oil as necessary.
Did you Make This?
Tell us how it came out or how you tweaked it, add your photos, or get help.Show Off