A low calorie curry.
This recipe is adapted from a traditional Aloo (cauliflower) curry.
I've done quite a bit of tweaking and experimenting to make it tasty without the oil / butter / nuts / etc that are normally in Indian curries.
For anyone wishing to experiment further:
- the small amount of oil is necessary to cook the spices (otherwise it just won't taste right).
- the saute-ing and roasting adds a lot of extra flavour without any extra calories.
- the tomato / onion / carrot paste adds thickness to the curry
- the carrot adds sweetness
- the stock & spices all add flavour without calories. Feel free to experiment with different spices.
- the long simmering is important to add depth and subtlety to the flavour.
- if the curry tastes bitter check: Did you burn any of the spices? (turmeric especially burns easily if you fried it, and the garam masala step can be quite tricky). Did you cut the ends & skin off the onion? Did the onion get sauted?
- Add some honey to counteract any bitter taste.