"Adapted from a Food Network magazine recipe. Much better than store bought crust. A family favorite for Friday nights :)"
1 (1/4 ounce) packet
active dry yeast
whole wheat flour
1 3/4 cups
1 1/2 teaspoons
desired pizza toppings
1. Whisk 1 1/3 cups warm water (105 degrees) and the sugar in a bowl; sprinkle the yeast on top. Set aside until foamy, about 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, whisk both flours and the salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in the yeast mixture. Stir together with a wooden spoon until liquid is incorporated. Add in the olive oil and gradually stir to make a rough dough.
3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes, dusting with more flour if necessary. Form into 2 balls. Brush 2 large bowls with olive oil, add a ball of dough to each and turn to coat with the oil. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature until doubled in size, about 1.5 hours.
4. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Roll out, sprinkle cornmeal on crust, flip over (so cornmeal is on the bottom) and put on a olive oil greased pizza pan (cast iron is the best!).
5. Bake at 450 for 5 minutes.
6. Take out of the oven and carefully top with desired ingredients.
7. Cook at 450 for 10 more minutes.
8. Reduce oven to 425 and cook for another 10 minutes. Check at this point to see if cooked, if not leave in and check every 5 minutes until done.
9. Broil for 2 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and golden.
10. ENJOY :)
Note: Pizza crust can be wrapped in plastic wrap and frozen for up to 1 month.