- Heat 1/4 cup sugar in a stainless saucepan on medium heat, do not stir until sugar begins to melt.
- Once sugar begins to melt, stir it until it has completely melted and begins to turn golden brown.
- When sugar has started to turn caramel colored, remove pan from heat and immediately add butter and brown sugar and quickly stir together.
- Once the butter and brown sugar are completely melded with the caramel (add gentle heat if needed to incorporate brown sugar), add the vanilla, corn syrup, cream and salt.
- Stir together well.
- The caramel will thicken as it cools.
- If a thinner caramel is required, add water one tablespoon at a time until the desired thickness is reached; if a thicker caramel is needed, reduce the amount of corn syrup used.