all purpose potato, peeled and diced
1 1/4 cups
2 tablespoons tamari or 2 tablespoons
other soy sauce
cornstarch, dissolved in
firm tofu, diced, frozen and thawed
( freezing and thawing optional, but it improves the texture)
salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
frozen peas, thawed
frozen corn, thawed
2 1/2 cups
unbleached all-purpose flour
chilled canola oil
- Cook potato and carrot in a pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 10 minutes, drain, rinse and set aside.
- Put stock and tamari in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce to low and whisk in the cornstarch-water mixture, simmer 2-3 minutes, stirring until thickened, remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium-size skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion, cover and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onion to the potatoes and carrots and mix in the tofu, corn and peas.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- For the crust, incorporate the salt into the flour, add the corn oil and with 2 butter knives cut the oil into the flour until crumbly and well incorporated.
- Add the water and mix until it forms a ball.
- Divide the crust in two and on a lightly floured surface, roll out each ball until it is slightly larger than a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Place one half into the casserole dish, and put the vegetables on top.
- Place the second crust over the vegetables and crimp the edges.
- Bake until the filling is hot and bubbly and the crust is browned, about 45 minutes.
- Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.