good first cold press extra virgin olive oil, 1/2 inch in large saute pan
( Don't skimp on oil quality!)
garlic cloves, minced, to taste
chopped onion, to taste
8 -12 slices
pancetta, thick slices
( Italian bacon)
2 (16 ounce) packages
( use your good judgement on quanity, we eat alot!..you may not!)
2 cups fresh grated parmesan cheese (Again, don't skimp on quality!) or 2 cups
( Again, don't skimp on quality!)
crushed red pepper flakes
salt & fresh ground pepper
- Put 1/2 inch of olive oil in sauté pan.
- Add 2 cloves (or more) chopped garlic, onion and bacon cut into small squares.
- Let simmer 30 minutes, don't let mixture boil!
- During last 10 minutes of simmering add crushed red pepper flakes if using (I used 1 teaspoon).
- In bowl, beat 4 eggs with lots of salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Cook spaghetti until al dente.
- Drain and immediately add egg mixture to pasta. (The pasta needs to be real hot in order for the eggs to cook).
- Stir until eggs are cooked.
- Mix into sauté pan and finish with the grated cheese.