active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups
4 1/2 cups
1 1/2 teaspoons
mozzarella cheese, diced
basil leaves, torn into small pieces
- Add the yeast to the warm water and let proof about 5-10 minutes, until foamy.
- Add flour in 1 cup increments, mixing with a wooden spoon until each cup is fully incorporated.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and knead for 8-10 minutes.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled large bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm, draft-free area until doubled (about 90 minutes).
- Preaheat oven to 500F and grease a large pizza pan.
- Punch down dough and knead in olive oil and salt.
- Let dough rest for 5 minutes.
- Roll dough out and spread over pizza pan.
- Crimp the edges to leave a slight lip.
- Spread sauce over pizza, up to 1/2" of the edges.
- Sprinkle mozzarella over sauce and drizzle a little more olive oil over, if desired.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, until cheese is bubbly.
- Remove from the oven, brush the exposed crust with a little olive oil and sprinkle fresh basil over the cheese.