onions, peeled and coarsely chopped
fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
Tomatoes, peeled and very finely chopped
fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Blend the onions, garlic, ginger and 3 tablespoons water in an electric blender until you have a paste.
- Put the oil in a wide pan and set over medium high heat.
- When hot, put in the cinnamon, cardamom and bay leaves.
- Stir for 3-4 seconds.
- Put in the paste from the blender.
- Stir and fry for about 5 minutes or until the paste turns a light brown color.
- Add the ground cumin and ground coriander.
- Stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Put in the tomatoes.
- Stir and keep frying until the paste has a nice reddish brown look to it.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the yogurt.
- Stir and fry for about 10- 15 secons or until it is incorporated into the sauce.
- Add all the yogurt this way.
- Add the turmeric and cayenne and stir for about a minute.
- Put in remaining water, salt, and prawns.
- Stir to mix and bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Stir and cook for about five minutes until you have a thick sauce- do not overcook.
- Sprinkle with garam masala and mix.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.