( tart ones are best)
- Preheat oven to 200ºF.
- Combine the water and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a simmer to dissolve the sugar. Remove from heat and let sit.
- Core the apple, and, with a slicer, slice it thin (absolutely no thicker than 1/8"), and dip the slices in diluted lemon juice (to prevent browning).
- Place the apple slices into the sugar-water solution, making sure that each slice gets coated. Let them soak for about 15-20 minutes (depending on thickness).
- Arrange the slices in a single layer on a baking sheet covered with either parchment paper or a silicone mat (these can REALLY stick).
- Put them in the preheated oven for about an hour or until the slices are dry and crisp. Store in an airtight bag or container.
- Depending on the size of the apple, the 1 cup water/1 cup sugar will do 2- I multiply the recipe using that ratio for most apples.