tamarind pulp, dissolved in
okra, whole or chopped into 1 inch lengths
fresh pineapple, cut into chunks
leek, washed and chopped
Tomatoes, washed,peeled and cut into wedges
Garnishings And Flavourings
fresh Asian basil
6 sprigs ngo om or 6 sprigs
( known as "ngo om" in Vietnamese)
serrano chilies, minced
- Dissolve the tamarind in the water.
- Strain it through a fine sieve.
- Reserve the thick tamarind water.
- Discard the seeds and pulp.
- Boil the tamarind liquid with 5 cups of water in a large pot.
- Add okra, tomato wedges and pineapple.
- Boil vigorously for 3 minutes.
- Lower flame and add the leek, salt and sugar.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the tofu cubes and soy sauce.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Check the seasoning.
- Serve in individual bowls garnished with drops of vegetable oil, shallots, bean sprouts, basil leaves, corriander and chillies.