2 1/2 lbs boned mutton (lamb) or 2 1/2 lbs
- Cut the meat into good size chunks.
- Peel the vegetables and slice thickly.
- Chop the parsley.
- Choose a pot with a well-fitting lid and put in the ingredients in layers, starting and finishing with potatoes.
- Pour in the water and season to taste.
- Cover and put on a very low heat for about 2 1/2 hours until the meat is tender and the potatoes have thickened the liquid.
- The dish may also be made with lamb, in which case it requires only 1 1/2 hours cooking time.
- I prefer to make this in a crock pot and let cook all day or over night, it lets the flavors blend extra well.
- If using mutton let cook on low for 8 hours, with lamb only 5 hours will make an excellent stew.