1 (16 ounce) cans red kidney beans (habichuelas coloradas) or 1 (16 ounce) cans
( habichuelas coloradas)
( a flavored salt used in latin cooking)
1 slice cooked ham or 1 slice salt pork or 1 slice
Canadian bacon, cubed
1 (0.01 lb) packets
sazon con azafran seasoning
( comes in envelopes in a box, gives color and a distinct flavor to latin dishes)
1 1/2 tablespoons
( comes in a jar, a necessary ingredient in Puerto Rican cooking)
1 1/2 cups
white rice, uncooked
- Made by Goya brand and can be found in the Spanish/Latin section of your grocery store Cook white rice as instructions on package of rice say to (5 minute rice is perfectly fine).
- make sure when you are done cooking to let excess water out of rice.
- In saucepan, heat oil on low-medium heat and put in the ham, salted pork, or Canadian bacon.
- once it starts to sizzle, add the garlic powder and Adobo seasoning.
- Then add the Sofrito and Sazon con Azafran seasoning, stir.
- Next add red beans (drain most of liquid, just a little bit is needed to pull the sauce together).
- Mix and serve.
- (in Puerto Rico, it is traditional to serve rice and beans with almost every meal, but mainly with pork chops (cooked with a little sofrito and adobo seasoning) on the side).
- Enjoy (a wonderful recipe straight from the island).