yellow onion, chopped
green bell pepper, chopped
( or to taste)
1 1/2 lbs
peeled crawfish tails
( can be purchased frozen)
1/2 cup green onions (green part only) or 1/2 cup
( green part only)
chopped fresh parsley
fine dry breadcrumb
puff pastry, squares
( 3-4 inch square cut from large sheets)
egg, for egg wash
milk, for egg wash
creole seasoning (to garnish) or
( to garnish)
ALTERNATE PASTRY (make your own)
1 1/2 teaspoons
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in large pan.
- Add onions, bell pepper, salt, cayenne.
- Cook for 2 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Add crawfish and stir cook for 2 minutes.
- Add green onions, garlic, and parsley and stir cook for 1 minute.
- Pour mixture into medium-size bowl and let cool for about 3 minutes.
- Add the egg and breadcrumbs and mix well.
- Set aside.
- DIRECTIONS FOR PUFF PASTRY IN OVEN:.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- mix egg and milk well for egg wash.
- Place 2 tablespoons of crawfish mixture on each pastry.
- Seal with egg wash and brush top with egg wash.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle lightly with Creole or Cajun seasoning.
- Serve hot.
- DIRECTIONS FOR MAKING PASTRY AND DEEP FRYING:.
- Preheat fryer.
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder into a large mixing bowl.
- Cut in shortening with pastry blender or 2 knives, until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- In small bowl, beat the egg with the milk.
- Slowly add egg mixture to flour mixture, to a thick dough.
- Divide dough into 12 equal portions.
- On lightly floured surface, roll out each dough piece into a thin round about 5 inches in diameter.
- Put about 1/4 cup crawfish mixture in center of each.
- Fold the dough over and crimp edges with fork.
- Deep fry 2 or 3 at a time till golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle with Creole or Cajun seasoning.
- Serve hot.