( 8-10 inch round)
thinly sliced genoa salami
thinly sliced provolone cheese
thinly sliced deli smoked ham
Olive Salad(can use a jar of your favorite brand or make it yourself )
anchovy fillet, mashed
( or equivalent amount anchovy paste)
chopped pimento-stuffed green olives
chopped ripe olives
crushed red pepper flakes
- If using home made olive salad, make it by mixing all ingredients together.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours before assembling sandwich.
- Cut bread in half horizontally.
- Remove about 1/2 inch of soft white bread from top layer of each half to make room for the filling, starting about 1/2 from sides.
- Drain olive salad, reserving liquid.
- Brush some of the liquid over cut sides of bread and toast under broiler until just lightly browned.
- Brush a little more liquid on toasted sides and layer salami, 1/2 of the olive salad, the cheese, ham and remaining olive salad on bottom half of bread.
- Cover with top half of bread and secure with a couple of tooth picks.
- Place back in oven for a few minutes to heat all ingredients.
- The cheese should just be warm and starting to get soft, but not runny.
- Cut into 4 quarters and serve with plenty of napkins.