egg, lightly beaten
freshly grated nutmeg
- Cream shortening and sugar well.
- Beat in egg.
- Mix together flour, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg in another bowl.
- In a measuring cup, mix together the milk and the cornstarch until smooth.
- Using a wooden spoon (a mixer would toughen the cake), stir in the dry mixture, alternating with the wet mixture, to the butter mixture, until all is combined well.
- Stir in the raisins.
- Pour into a greased 9" cake pan and bake at 350 F (preheated) for 25-30 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan on a rack.